Monday, July 21, 2008

Play with Flickr...

Flickr espouses itself as being "the best online photo management and sharing application in the world", this is a bold claim indeed!

It was great fun to look at the Australia tag of most recent listings. It was even better to look at those which fell into the most interesting category.

Digital camera technology is absolutely fabulous... During my first overseas undertaking I had a plain old box brownie, well not quite, but it was a compact camera which seemed to eat 24 and 36 exposure film! Now on each overseas pursuit I religiously take a very mini digital camera and my heavy Canon EOS 20D which my other half imported from the USA, before they were available in Australia. It was a present for a significant birthday and is worth much more than many people pay for their first car, so I felt very spoiled; and now I seem to collect different lenses for it.

So, after that rambling, it's evident that I'm a convert to any form of digital imagery creation, sharing and manipulation (the crop, fix, edit and "make stuff" options in Flickr definitely help to get the creative juices and imagination going).

I couldn't believe that account subscribers have the discretion to add up to seventy-five tags to each photo, or video on Flickr. Subsequently, an inordinate duration of time could be spent allocating tags.

The "organiz" (deliberately without the e) option of linking images to maps and exploring by place also adds an extra dimension to the story behind images.

I particularly liked the Interesting - Last seven days images. Though, I was inevitably disappointed when wonderful shots were unaccompanied (i.e. without any explanation, or title to provide some context).

Additionally, The Commons has the objective to display "hidden treasures [from] the world's public photography archives". It's also designed to provide a way for the general public to contribute information and knowledge. The project only commenced at the beginning of 2008 and I think that it is absolutely wonderful.

It was also fabulous to make use of the PicLens add-on which permits both full-screen and 3D viewing of online photos and videos. When used in conjunction with amazing historical images from The Commons project, it's a truly satisfying experience. Visit http://www.cooliris.com/ to find out more information and access the add-on. I'm thankful that I did!

Finally, I learnt that there is an interesting photography initiative known as the One hundred strangers Project, available for anyone to partake: http://www.100strangers.com/ It is described as a Flickr group dedicated to taking street portraits. One of its predominant objectives is to inspire participants to practice taking portraits of people not personally known to them.

It was much too challenging for me to select just one Flickr image that I found interesting... Watch this space and I'll post a link to an image soon.

Now I look forward to creating a Flickr account, uploading some images to the site; tagging them in my blog and making them public also...

No comments: