Thursday, September 11, 2008

Provide us with feedback (Sylvester's antics conclude)...


















I think that there should have been much more genuine user/ participant interaction during the course of the learning program. By that I mean that observations and comments related to the blogs and posts which others have prepared, are really important. I have had the good fortune/ positive opportunity to glance through the different blogs recently. Amongst many fleeting thoughts, I have found the following:

  • Amy's post and find related to echcho was really positive;
  • Conan the Oz Librarian's "Warning - dangerously boring blog contents" generated image was great and made me laugh;
  • Laraine's image of the Impey boat in the UK was a nice touch. So too were the more useful tools that she referred for blog readers;
  • Emma's purple trees and chosen colours for her blog, reminded me of jacaranda season in the northern NSW town of Grafton;
  • Frances' sparkling custom glitter text was lovely!
  • KD's blog inclusion of the mountain imagery with clouds and eastern prayer flags were pleasantly spiritually inclined;
  • The overriding theme and unique "out of this universe" feel for The Librarian's Guide to the Galaxy blog was great;
  • Marg's black board: A creative blog name and the Difficult Library Customer You Tube video was fun, with Cookie Monster as the Sesame Street proponent.
  • The best thing I identified on any of the blog posts for the duration of 23 Things was the Charles Leadbeater You Tube clip called "We Think", which was included in Michiem's blog. It is absolutely brilliant causing much thought and consideration. See the following URL for background information to the video and book: http://www.charlesleadbeater.net/home.aspx. I also liked the variety of Flickr images and the imported book cover images, despite Michelle having hiccups with technology.
  • The Novel lover's black and white image of little Colin was very cute indeed!
  • Neolithic images of an automated catalogue and new document copier were fabulous on the Modern Librarian blog. I'm glad the technology was around before my time in the industry!
  • The quote included on the My learning blog web page "Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere" is really relevant and pleasant too. Charles' gallivanting and sharing of the experiences on Odyssey 2008 is also very interesting for the armchair traveller.
  • The blog name Daggy Diva's tearoom was delightful.
  • Finally, the post on Terri's top blog which included an image of Thing from the Addams Family asserted that she would like to forget the Library 2.0 term itself because it reminds her of study. Her post and overall consideration of 23 Things was most interesting.
Well done to everyone who took the time to create a blog. Even those whom didn't receive a specific comment from me. I loved the way in which blogs and posts reflected the diverse personalities and backgrounds of Chisholm Library professionals. Congratulations to Jason for rolling out the 23 Things project. Also, best wishes to him for the pilot project in the broader Chisholm organisation.

How could you draw on what you have learned in
23 Things to help you in your work?
Subscriptions to blogs and exploitation of RSS feed technology will continue. This should assist with professional networking, knowledge of industry best practice; and other information services.

How could the library use the technologies featured in 23 Things to improve its service?
With planning and research the introduction of wikis and blogs could occur on the library pages, or be affiliated with the on-line catalogue. A series of educational podcasts and vodcasts could also be established. I'm not sure that social networking tools, Google docs, maps etc. have real value added relevance to the suite of services already provided. I'm open to some convincing though.


Do you think you’ll keep blogging; or keep using any of the other tools you learned about?

Fortunately I already utilise some of the tools on a regular basis. However, I hadn't previously extended my browser to its fullest capacity. Also, I hadn't utilised Firefox. Now I'm a convert, particularly of morning coffee. Blogs, social networking sites and Google products will continue to be at the fore, for me.


Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

I now love Flickr. It's my favoured procrastination tool! I suppose it is a take-away. There were not any unexpected program outcomes.


What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

I have dug around to familiarise myself with other 23 Things programs. The brevity of instructions included in some of the programs was not a positive attribute. The program borrowed and adapted by Jason for the Chisholm Library team has a reasonable degree of instruction, as well as framed questions for review and reflection. Perhaps fewer things could be tackled on a weekly basis. Though, some have obviously embraced the concept of independent learning at one's own pace.

If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate?
I have thoroughly enjoyed the 23 Things program. As a genuine advocate of lifelong learning and continuous improvement I would readily participate in future discovery programs of this type. After all, I'm putting my hand up for a PhD during the next twelve months. I can concentrate on long-winded writing for it, instead of boring you with my much too long posts! Yippeee!


No comments: